Saturday, October 19, 2013

"Small" Success, Swimsuits, Solicitations [Spoiler Alert]







Dr. Cheryl  Barnard listens in on Tiffany
and her students discussing "Marvin"
Visit: University of St. Joseph Faculty


Sister Beth Fisher observing Nurse Elsie
with her small group.
I really need to start with the most important happening of the week.  The Problem Based Learning programme here has been successful  because we have relied on the "volunteer" efforts of three University of Guyana graduates - Azalia Luke, Roberta Binda and Tiffany Chichester-Gilkes - and a local full-time faculty member - Elsie Asabere.  They were under the illusion that their efforts might get some course recognition from St. Joseph's University in Connecticut.  I had been chatting with Professor Marylou Welsh for most of the year about the possibility of this actually happening.   So this week Marylou and three other members of the University of St Joseph's came for a visit to participate in a PBL session with the tutors leading the students' small groups - while I sat outside wondering if the students were actually going to be awake after the day at the creek [See last week's blog: Big Girls at the Creek].


Dr. Marylou Welsh participating with Nurse Azalia
and the PBL students
Dr Janet Knecht listens as a student shares her learning in Nurse Roberta's group.





However, it seems that I had nothing to worry about as all four returned with glowing reports of the leadership skills of the tutors, and the level of work and interaction from the students.    Their feedback confirmed what I have felt about the students' work (sometimes!) and the growing skill level of the tutors.  Now Marylou will return to Connecticut and continue to shepherd the new course through the administrative channels at St Joe's.

While I would love, of course, to take all the credit for the recognition, the lion's share will need to go to Marylou who had volunteered her time to get the course recognition and be the "official" teacher.   I need to thank Marylou for making one of my "tall tales" be a true story.  

An Aside:  While it may not be of the same magnitude as Willie Mays telling me that I would make a great Center Fielder, the visit by the "Giants" from St. Joe's was affirming for the students and tutors in ways that will last long after their short visit.  The students and tutors all received positive feedback for their work and teaching skills.   And from my favourite autobiographical novel, My Name is Asher Lev, (by Chaim Potok) "Remember my son, some tastes remain on your tongue a long time."

Some of the students want me to thank Bev Clarke for getting them in shape to be good PBL participants...  (I am pretty sure they may say the same thing about Dennis LeBlanc who comes on Sunday.)   I know from Bev's perspective is was a short visit .... and yet one never knows how one person impacts another.    And so the circle of significance grows to include all of you who continue supporting me with prayers and donations.   The visitors could hardly believe that after ten years here I still have friends who helped buy the tablets for the students.  (These last sentences are true and a crass attempt to get you ready to read below in a good mood.)

Rough Day at the Beach


Wednesday was Eid Mubarak and a national holiday.    The newly re-energized Student Association under the Presidency of Denzil Hernandez organized a student trip to the Creek [All creeks are just called The Creek here.]   It was put together in a short time after I said I'd get the prizes for the games.   The students organized the transportation, food, timing, games...  and we were off only a half hour after the planned time -- clearly a record.   Somehow the prizes never arrived, but that didn't dampen the fun or the games.   I was a first time loser almost every time with Salout (Sp?) -- it is like "Red Rover, Red Rover",  but obviously I didn't understand the fine points.  And while my mind thought about engaging in a pleasant game of Twister, my body refused to get up off the bench.    I had to content myself with being the official sunburn checker on all the girls regularly throughout the day.

Some teaching days are easier than others.  However, when we finally got back to Georgetown, they were deciding where they were going that night, while I was so tired I had to go to bed without my supper!
 
I have had to admire the leadership shown by the whole Student Association as they have addressed the low morale at Mercy and have decided to do something about it.   They have developed a series of events and projects planned throughout the year to increase spirit.and raise a few bucks.   They have developed:

  • Motto: Together we aspire ; Together we achieve. 
  • 2013-2014 Vision statement: Respect and Equality for our student nurses.
  • Aim: To do all in our power to promote a more cordial relationship between our members, Senior Personnel , other members of the Health Team and the Community as a whole.


 
And to show their support for the less fortunate; they invited Adrian Anderson,
an Assistant Administrator, to come as their guest.



Can you Find My Keys?


As I was going up my stairs outside my flat, I dropped my keys


 



but with my cat-like reflexes
I kicked them through the opening between the stairs.
 

I think that they are still there; if you can spot them tell me!

Good thing I keep an "idiot set" hidden .......... somewhere.

Briefly:

  •  I recently found out that the first year students were doing their Anatomy and Physiology without any textbooks.   I knew I still had some donation dollars lodged with Guyana Christian Charities, so I ordered enough used texts online and had them shipped through Taju's company at JFK and they were here in a week.  Thanks for your continued support.  The students thought it was Christmas.   I tried to tell them not to get too excited because  if the teacher knows they have a textbook, she will just expect more.  
  • As well, with your help, we have started a reference section for PBL in the hospital library. Already there are five books and growing..  And the tutors have actually read some.   And Sister Catherine is mellowing in her late 80's.  She is going to ignore the filing system that the library uses and put all the PBL books in a section of their own and even mixed with photocopied journal articles.
  • My old friend of almost 50 years, Dennis LeBlanc, will arrive on Sunday Morning.  He is coming to volunteer for three weeks.   We were in Maryknoll College together and chose similar paths in life -- ministry.  (We did change brands, however, with him becoming Baptist, and we both ended up as pastoral counselors.)    I am looking forward to seeing the continuities and changes that 50 years has done.  Come to think of it, though, I did see him a couple of years ago in Nova Scotia, and he was quite recognizable, which meant I felt good about inviting him to volunteer!
  • The very little girls at St. Ann's had my camera .....I have just a few photos to give a sense of their work.








 


Speaking of Christmas: I didn't have the nerve to post this two weeks ago.  Christmas is a really big event here...really big.   When I was at the Republic Bank to see my banker, Michael Ram, this was front and center in the lobby:


Now that You are in the Christmas Spirit
Hey, if banks can use Christmas to get you in the mood to take out a loan .....

I have two great opportunities for you:
  • Photography Contest at St Ann's Girls Home:  The Contest is entitled "Father John's First and Probably Last Photography Contest".  There will be four categories (Girls Playing, Studying, Working and Action) with four prize winners.    I have already printed about 40 pictures and hung them up at St. Ann's.  They had all told me that they wanted MP3 players for the prizes and that they were about $10 US ..... Well, the cheapest ones turn out to cost $25.   So if you'd like to donate an MP3 prize, you can send a cheque to Guyana Christian Charities .....  just email me that you did and I'll get the MP3 player because all who read my blog are trustworthy. 
  • Buy a Tile Project:  This is the first undertaking by the Mercy Students' Association.   They are trying to get donations of a $1,000 Gy per tile ($5 US) in order to tile the floors in the nursing school classrooms.  At present they are a powdery concrete and always seem dusty and dirty though housekeeping now cleans them daily.   The students will do the work themselves under the guidance of an real installer, in order to keep costs down. And here's the part you will really like:  If you donate (10 tiles makes you a "Bronze Donor", 20 "Silver Donor", 30 "Gold Donor" and 50 "Platinum Donor")  you will have an engraved tile placed on a wall in the classroom forever or until the building collapses.   I think they will make wonderful Christmas gifts for all my grandkids; I'll let Anne explain why these are better than toys!   Same deal: just send your cheque to Guyana Christian Charities with "Tile" in the memo field... and 100% of the donation will go to the tiles project.   Or you can mail it to Mercy Student Association at the Hospital and again put "Tile" in the memo line...
(Anne says:  all our grandchildren have more toys than anyone in Guyana can imagine -- they don't need more!  But they love to feel useful!!)

Thanks for getting this far.  John

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think as you have read what I think...