Saturday, October 12, 2013

Over the Hill and Coming Down the Back Side

This is One of My Favorite Morning Songs

I am back  at Blogger Control...  No guests this week to give the honor of doing this week's blog.   This week also marks more than halfway through my classes; however, I know from experience that the second half seems to go a lot faster than the first.   When I get here it seems like there's so much time to do everything, but now I am trying to decide what to omit so I can leave on the 23rd of November.   I do not think that we will even get to "Sobrena", the last Problem Based Learning "case" person.   (Now if "good old" Tony was here we would be having extra classes to fit her in -- but  I think the students will not be permanently damaged if they don't get to examine Sobrena.)  I have had to prioritize stuff; for instance, on the holiday [Eid] this week we are all going to the "creek".  (There are lots of creeks and they are all black water streams and they are "the beach" here.)  Girls in bikinis, frolicking on the beach -- this is just what  I  (whoops) they need!



PBL Students and Tutors

This is an important week as we have three faculty members from St Joseph's College in Connecticut coming to visit us. Specifically, they will be here to evaluate the Tutors' role in the course and whether it is rigorous enough academically and clinically to be awarded graduate course credits through St. Joe's. I had bribed (hey, it is Guyana after all) the University of Guyana graduates into tutoring on the basis of actually getting course approval. They have worked hard with the students; read literature on PBL and the role of the Tutors; learned how to grade exams in a PBL style; presented extra sessions on difficult content area ....... (Okay, so they only did that once, but it was significant!)

Tutor Azalia simplifying brain anatomy
in a special student requested presentation.

So Professors Marylou Welch, (Sister) Beth Fisher and Janet Knecht will join the program and groups on Thursday.  Everyone is excited about their visit.  And even if we don't qualify ..... well, I sure hope they don't find out till I have left the country!    It is crucial to improve the quality of nursing educators in the country if nursing is to continue to make strides forward.   Marylou is a longtime visitor and supporter of nursing in Guyana.  She has volunteered her time to lead the course so it can be offered for credit.

We have started a special library section for reference and text materials on PBL.   And while only one book has arrived, there are more on the way.   It did take me some time to "sweet talk" Sister Catherine into creating a special section and ignore the official library filing system!   (So if you have a few leftover reference books for PBL,  just ship them on down.)   

Before I leave the students and PBL, I need to mention the spectacular job that Dr.Claudette "Derry" Harry has done covering the absence of a volunteer. She helped tutor last year on a regular basis and we had agreed that if I was really stuck I could call on her some... Well, the some has turned into a full time commitment for the last two weeks and this coming one as well. She is retired, too!  We need to create another word for her (and many others) who put in more working time than when they were "working".
Dr. Derry tutoring a small group.
Thanks for your commitment to the students.

St. Ann's and My Girls
This weeks album [top right] was taken by the small girls at St. Ann's... some five and six.   I had to stand guard because as soon as the youngin' gets the camera the older girls come and show them how to use it and the small fry never see the camera again.    The photo contest is still on AND there is no prize category for face close ups and modelling poses, but that is what they all take!   (Also: If you want to donate a prize for one of the categories, I will be awarding small MP3 players.  I understand that they are about $30 US/Cdn.)

Some graffiti on the play yard wall...
I like the idea; may use it in my room.
















Planning for the Canadian Doctors' Visit






this Canadian worked hard
at selling me a herd of goats.
Bhiro and I have been meeting frequently to discuss arrangements for the upcoming visit of Peter, Sujay, Brenna and Ram at the end of the month.  This week we went to the Caribbean Agricultural Fair to see if they might want to raise goats ..... Canadian goats too.   Or if we should tell them about the benefits of coconut oil for their hair and skin.

Peter, do you like Goat Cheese?
Sujay and Brenna - coconut oil
will keep you young

Then we weren't sure if they were cricket fans so we tested out the lunch menu at the World Famous Georgetown Cricket Club... Where people like Chanderpaul and Gayle played.  They are national heroes like Willie Mays!

The pitch at GCC
Of course, I am a member; don't I look Guyanese?

For some reason we haven't gotten around to actually drawing up a schedule for the docs.  I guess we'll have to meet again.  I wonder if they will like some Brazilian Barbecue ...... we'll have to arrange another session with our food consultants, Faustina and Pauline.

Briefs
  • Do you remember that I could only find three of my four stored boxes ?  (Of course, you don't.)  I was in the hospital kitchen when I noticed this nice big juice container with Rev John written on it in black magic marker.  And then the bed sheets in the student practice room looked familiar.....  It seems the box got opened and they saw some "good stuff" there that they could use ..... At least a mystery is solved.
  • Dennis Le Blanc will be here next Sunday for a three week volunteer tour with me.  Now him I do have scheduled in.   He is going to run a "couples workshop" for all the students in the school and their partners, help tutor in the PBL programme, maybe get to Bosco Boys' Home, tour with the Canadian docs, help the students cope with their visit to the Postmortems at the Public, and more.  Dennis and I  have known each other since university days.   
  • I took out to dinner, and visited with, two distinguished graduates of St Ann's who are now living at St Bernadette's Girls Hostel.   and as they have the food tastes of all young Guyanese girls we went to an new "Uhmarekin"  restaurant for pizza!  It is great to see them maturing into young women with dreams still intact.
    Coreen and Malinda go out with Father John
Everything else will have to wait ..... and I'll try not to forget it all.           Have a good week!        John

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think as you have read what I think...