Saturday, October 11, 2014

Same as Before and Just as Hot

This Week's Star at Mercy

Mark Joseph Harry Low




Mark is a true Mercy Hospital person as he was born at the hospital some forty years ago, when (I think) Sister Sheila Walsh was the CEO here, and his family lived just around the corner on Duke St. He did move to the East Coast for a while, as he had to live with his grandparent in Annandale and went to Buxton Community High School.    His grandfather and father were Hindu Pandits, but he didn't follow in their footsteps.  However, as he said his grandfather said, "The Lord is One."

He started his Mercy Career as a Maintenance volunteer for 6 months and then in 2006 began is present position as  a Ward Attendant.   His job takes him all over the hospital - delivering oxygen or a patient or waste.   This allows him to serve as a greeter to staff and visitors alike.  I would think it was unusual if you came to Mercy and he was working that you didn't see him and get a friendly hello.

He says the best part about working at Mercy is his job description ..... a little of everything and everywhere.   "So Mark, you like your job?" "No Rev, I love it."   He has little routine and is constantly learning new things.  In fact, he has been going back to school for several years trying to upgrade his education and is now in the pre-CXC programme at a local Adult Education School four nights a week.   As he says, "I am slow academically, but that doesn't stop me."


When asked about what would he tell my vast readership about Guyana, he sounded just like a travel brochure outlining all the interesting sites here, the Amazon Jungle, Kaieteur.  I think he named something interesting in all ten regions.


Asked about his piece of wisdom for my readers: "If you want something, then go after it. You just can't sit down.   It is not easy.  You need to believe in yourself.  You need to have the mind to do it and with prayer."


So in 2014 what will you be doing, Mark?   "So many plans.  And with God's grace I'll pass Maths and English CXC's.  I would love to be a Nurse Aid"  And of course at Mercy Hospital!

I Should Listen to Myself

Whenever I evaluate what I am doing here, I am content to say my goals are small: I come and work really hard for 12 weeks with my 20 or so students.   I do this because it is way too frustrating to do anything larger societally.  Clear focus; no problem .....


I don't know what happens to me.  It started innocently enough in July. My friend, Bhiro Harry asked, "John, would you help us edit Guyana's new Mental Health Action Plan?"  Sure; sounds easy; how much trouble and stress could an editor get into?


When I finally got a copy of the detailed Action Plan, I think there were almost an many blank pages  "To Be Completed", as there were pages with content.  And then it went downhill...  Bhiro would rather see 20 psychotic patients off their meds than read one paragraph; and the other collaborator, Jorge, is a Cuban psychiatrist whose English, while much better than my Spanish, does make me look like a grammarian.   I had asked for some financial data and other statistics and Guyana's "just now's"... permeated the correspondence.   A week or so before I left Canada, I rewrote the places where we needed actual data, using realism.



So in place of "the budget for 2015 will be so many dollars", I wrote, "The actual budget contribution of the government will be determined after the legislative passage of specific lines of action."  

Anyhow, there was the  roll-out of the plan on Friday (while the actual plan is still being printed);   there were the press and tv ..... a set of powerpoint slides, a few discreet questions -- and it was mercifully over.
Dr Bhiro Harry sharing the overview of the "Shaping Guyana
Mental Health Through 2020.
[R] Minister of Health Bheri Ramsaran
providing strong support
for the  New Plan
 



Before that we -- the unholy trinity of Bhiro, Jorge and me -- were invited to talk about the Mental Health Plan at the UN Headquarters.  I was going there to just look cute and give some moral support. Well, the head of the staff there got up to introduce us and proudly announced that it was her great pleasure to have us talk about Balancing our Work and Home Lives.   I started to slouch down in my chair .....  It reminded me of once presenting to a nurses' group in Toronto on "Developing Organ Donor Protocols" and as I was sitting to be introduced, someone handed me the programme where it was clearly displayed that I would be talking about the "Spiritual Needs of the Elderly".  And there was no place to run .....  So:  "The spiritual needs of the elderly in their distilled form parallel the development of donor organ transplant procedures ....."



I am so full of BS!  I had no trouble addressing their topics, but first I had to point out the obvious:  "Here you have three professionals volunteering on a late Friday afternoon to do this session.  I really think you should distrust anything we may say about balancing your lives."  In the end, I had fun; and they want us back for an advanced session.   I suggested they schedule it for December, as I leave in late November .....



And then today at 6:00am there was to be another march for Suicide Awareness -- and Breast Cancer?  The march was to end at the Fair site, the plaza of the Revolution with the famous Cuffy statue of 1783.   There at     9 am, I was to man a booth that dealt with "Counseling Adolescents" -- another surprise.



When I got here maybe forty police officers were there listening to Bhiro.    And as I was dropping my backpack, I hear, "Now Rev John will share his thoughts on mental illness and policing."   (I swear I am not making this stuff up.)   So I talked about resisting the urge to settle a mental illness standoff with violence.   They needed to be in touch with their fears and prejudices about the mentally ill, and very few ever resort to violence against others, and a few other gems .....
Dr Tony, a new Cuban, psychologist got put to work
early with the police attendees.
[R] I started with "Counseling Adolescents"
and then scratched out Adolescents... and finally ended
up with my last sign, so Bhiro came over! 






And in the spirit of "I bet you can't eat just one".   I will be helping another person Tabitha Mallampati conduct a full review of the Nursing School at Mercy -- right after I design it.   Sylvia invited me as consultant to the Family Life Commission of the RC Diocese here in Guyana... and I somehow left there with my used-to-be friend Sylvia, saying that I would lead a small workshop for all the leaders of the local GT congregational groups on desensitizing the stigma of Mental Illness.

It is a good thing Dennis LeBlanc is coming, I think he is an expert in that area!   He might not be too willing after he sees all the changes that have been happening to his new bedroom.  Below is this morning's picture.-
Sylvia and I did move the table.  Now there is an  avant guard
open concept bedroom complete with invisible furniture. 

Old Friends and A Swim

It has not been all work.  I have invited several old friends out for a meal and a few beers to catch up on their lives.  



 David Yahn was the Chairman of the Board at St Joseph Mercy Hospital.   And in our usual tradition we solved the world's and our own problems over a few beers.    David's family have a long history here in the life of Guyana and some great stories.  His dad grew up right around the corner from Forbes Burnham, a former President of Guyana.






Then, I caught up with Raymond Jagessar.  Ray is a Chemistry Professor at University Guyana who specializes in the medicinal qualities of many Amazon Jungle plants.  He did his Ph.D in the States but came back to help out his country.  AND he is a Lutheran from Skeldon and that is how I first got to know him.   We met at our usual hangout outside the university and he had a couple of Maltas - and I had -hmmm - what was it - oh yes, a few beers.    Raymond is still single, so any eligible women out there, write me and I'll give you his contact information.



I still have to catch up with a few more old friends like the Scarboro Sisters  Donna and Bev. Also, and my fault,  I didn't remember to take a picture of Shawn Rampersaud when we went out.  Shawn was a previous Treasurer here at Mercy for many years.   In many ways, he is still supporting Mercy as he works with Demerara Tobacco Company.   

Swim at the Grand Coastal
This is really about an old friend too, but Ian MacKay wasn't here this time. He is back in Canada recovering from a total hip replacement.  Tony Carr and I first met him here many years ago as he has been the consultant for the renovation of the hotel.  So I ride on his coattails and go for a swim and a few beers and dinner without getting a room.    This Eid holiday, Sylvia and I spent a very cool afternoon poolside.  Thanks, Ian.




Thanks for reading this week and to all my Canadian friends and family -- and all those Americans who wish they were Canadian:

                  HAPPY THANKSGIVING!


1 comment:

  1. Look forward to the beers and catching up, and to Dennis' return. After a year and a half here, I am pleased that I can say that I actually know several of the people you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think as you have read what I think...