Friday, September 19, 2014

There must be a Secret Guyanese Code

National March for Suicide Awareness

This was the scene at 6:40 this morning before the advertised 7:00 start of the March last Sunday.  I will give an all-around view  for the full effect…

 

Through some special communication only known to a few Piai men, the March was going to begin at 6am, not at the newspaper published 7am -- though it only left about 6:20 and did not follow the designated route.  A security guard from the Bank of Guyana had pity on the only person sitting on the stairs and said, "They already left."  "No, that is okay; I am waiting for the 7 AM National Suicide Prevention March."  "Yes, they left with the Minister of Health after he gave a speech."   I did find out that they were not going to end at the Umana Yana [probably because it burnt down last week], but would finish right here.  And about the time for the March to start, they were finishing.    I did get a few pictures with some people actually in them.

If this was supposed to be the National March… I would have hated to see a local one.   However, I did get a chance to chat with the Minister of Health... and a picture to prove it. 




Well, that freed up my morning, so I consoled myself on the walk back that I would stop at my favourite french fry place for a double order of breakfast fries; AND, it was not open.   Why would it have been when their sign says open at 7AM?

 And in the same Inscrutable Vein of Guyanese Logic..
I was wanting some newsprint paper for my class at St Ann's.  In one of the Nursing School's rooms there is an easel - a really nice, sturdy, wooden one, but with no paper.  I asked a few teachers and they did not remember seeing any, but there must be some around.  When the secretary arrived after lunch, I asked Kelta if there was any newsprint paper.
She said that they didn't have any.
But what about the easel?
Yes, that is what it is for, but there is no paper, as no one uses it.
Could it be that no one uses it because there is never any paper?
What if I wanted some newsprint?
I don't think so, as there is no budget for it.
Thanks.
Luckily, a secretary in Hospital Admin loves me and let me have a few sheets from a hidden stash.

And one more "head scratcher"

There is a new disease here in Guyana "Chikungunya".  It is related to Dengue and seems that every third person you meet has it or has had it.  So the health prevention crowd is out informing the public.  Here is the sign near our flat.


 Be sure to read the Prevention Section
before looking at the following pictures





And then not too far away is the area below our flat.





Another Special Mercy Staffer
Margaret Douglas

Margaret doesn't need to go to the gym; she tosses around heavy loads all day
Margaret is a 17 year veteran of the hottest part of Mercy - the Laundry Facility.  She has been in that facility for all those 17 years and now is the Head Laundress.  She does like to stay put.   In fact, she was born on Norton Street in Georgetown and now lives in the same house on Norton Street.   She was married but has been a widow for 16 years.  She raised her family there, and now there are 9 grandchildren for her and her daughters, Brandee and Deedee to spoil.
Margaret said that the best part of coming to work each day at Mercy was giving herself the challenge to try to  improve something.  After all those years, the machines are really her second set of children.  She can tell by the sounds and rhythms if the machines are not right.  And in 10 years from now?  You guessed it:  Margaret sees herself still in the laundry because she likes it there and she watches her diet and stays fit ..... and there are still some parts of the facility she can improve.
So her wisdom for the readers:  As you get older, you get more wise.  You get more knowledge about life; imagine if you could go back ten years in your life how much smarter you would have been.  If you get to be old, use your wisdom to help younger people.

Police Rodeo
Saturday was the Annual Police Services Rodeo right across the street on the Parade Grounds.   I knew it was on because the gentleman on the loudspeaker almost blew out the glass on the flat's windows.   There are always lots of people there and some food and beer, so I went over for a few hours.   Now:  you know of the famous Canadian Mounted Police Musical Ride?  Well, the Guyana Police force topped it with the Guyanese Mounted Police Musical Chairs.


There was also the usual display of close order marching, police dog obedience and skill maneuvers, gymnastics, hand-to-hand combat and then at dusk there is the horse jumping show when the horses jump through a flaming hoop .....  And one can't forget the ubiquitous motorcycle races.   I did get to see some of my old students with their families out to enjoy the activities -- and I even remembered all their names.

Some PBL... or Rather "Field Trip" - Almost
Still following the old axiom that almost anything is better than teaching; I announced to the students we were going on a field trip...  They were exuberant and wanted to know where and did they have to wear their uniforms?  I said yes, but I would pay transportation .....  We were going to the Radiology Department!   (I was really glad that no one had a gun with them!)  We had talked about lots of Imaging techniques and we wanted them to see them in action as well as see some of the images.   They were shown MRI, CT Scan, Xrays and Ultrasound.   The Radiographer and Radiologist were patient and good teachers... and it took the whole hour.
Radiographer Tijo explains the CT.
Dr. Persaud discusses Ultrasound.










And Finally Christmas Early
Whenever a container arrives from the North, it is almost as intense as watching kids unwrap their presents at Christmas.   It is also "all hands on deck" as much needed items get distributed to the right area.    I think that this particular shipment came from "my"  Guyana Christian Charities Canada.

So much stuff in one container.
Doesn't Dr. Bridgemohan look like the CEO? And in the picture is Mr. Williams and  St Juanita's Daughter, Joannah Ramsammy.



Thanks for reading.

John -- now a proud official member
of the Mercy Student Nurses Association.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think as you have read what I think...