Friday, September 20, 2013

Ups and Downs


I got out of the shower this morning (try to control yourselves ladies!) and I hadn't even noticed that the shower was freezing cold... Humans are sure adaptable - even me.  With routines, you really don't have to think and feel, it is like an automatic pilot turned on at the beginning of the day and off at bedtime .....  gliding through the day.   But the gods who control Guyana apparently hate routines .....

My Mystery Woman
Trish just wrote that she had had a personal emergency arise and she will not be able to come next week. This might throw a normal human being into a spin, but in Guyana one gets used to disappointment and I  have only had one extra beer so far.   There is a Guyanese proverb, "The moon run all night till the sun a catch 'em'"  I like one of its interpretations as: "Relax; life unfolds, no matter how much we work at planning for the future."

I had written to another volunteer who also could not come: "(Your age) is not that old especially if one takes care of oneself.  I will be disappointed if you do not come AND I will cope.  You have my permission not to come ..... You can decide that at any time before you get on the plane and if all your problems get fixed, well -- I might get back here next year.   And if you come, I will definitely enjoy your company and wisdom.   I am amazed at how fortunate I have been over the years to be able to have all the stars (and my wife) align to allow me to do this...  If you do become unwell and infirm, I will try not to gloat and just have a quiet beer - or two - to acknowledge that there is still no justice in the world and louts like me are just lucky bastards."

I used this picture  for driver Waja, who would meet Trish at the airport,
to identify her, as she did not have a picture of herself.
He was looking forward to "picking her up".

On the Up Side
Professor Mary Lou Welch and two of her colleagues from St. Joseph College, Connecticut, are planning a visit in October; and the possibility of my graduate tutors getting a course credit for their work in our programme is still a possibility.     Thanks, Marylou, for your efforts, and even if it falls through, you have given us hope.  Hope doesn't get its power from achieving what one hopes for; its power rests in the almost having it.  Elsie, Azaila, Roberta and Tiffany are excited about the possibility ..... and, maybe, sometimes that is enough.   

The Best High
The students have been adapting to the Problem Based Learning approach with amazing maturity; They are becoming active learners both on the internet as well as in the hospital.  Bev has decided that it has been her experience and maturity that has made the most difference... and who am I to argue with that.  I certainly don't get accused of "maturity".   As we used to say in Bioenergetic Training,  "It doesn't matter how you make ice - ice is ice."  (I just can't seem to remember now why we said that .....)  They are doing well and they are excited about learning.

There are several changes to this year's PBL programme.  Instead of only giving a grade for the exam on each page, there are marks for every small group assignment.  As well, each student is sending a summary of their questions and research to the others in the group before they meet... and they get a grade for that too.  So every PBL day there are various marks.   I am finally catching on:  if they only study for exams, let's go with that ......  A little encouragement never hurts!

Bev has also taken over the Tuesday sessions and led a discussion on Suffering (she would have done a book-signing, too, but there were none of her books in Guyana!) and another  on Breathing and Relaxation.   The students liked that they didn't have to wear their uniforms.   Now if they only will practice, they won't get so anxious before exams.



All eyes on the screen
Bev explaining some drawings

Hands on..
These students look like they need
to know how to relax? 




























When no one else will give you a hug.
I told them this is just how the morgue will look.
















A Good News Thank You
(Still sucking up to donors) The tablets have worked well and the students are really grateful to have them.   I just discovered that a Guyanese acquaintance of mine had a granddaughter in my class who received a tablet and she told me that I was such a blessing for bringing them.   I responded that it is my friends who are to be thanked, as they donated the dollars to buy them.  The students are fast learners and are teaching me many good tricks about using tablets.
   
The Nursing Faculty show their appreciation for a new copier from an anonymous donor.
It was shipped for free from the US by Cross International.  Thanks.

A Luddite Lives
Speaking of learning... I have a cellphone now.  The Lutheran Church in Guyana has loaned me one of theirs; it was last used by Dr. Erv..... So I have to tell all the women who call looking for him that it is just me.  Are they ever disappointed!  I learned another law of nature: no matter when you leave your cell phone in another room, that is when you get a call...or rather a Missed Call.    I won't tell you about someone using my phone when it rang with a text message and that person was heard shouting into the phone, "I am sorry I can't hear you."  


Some of the Week That Was - Out and About
We were invited to Georgia and Bhiro's home for a wonderful Cuban meal... Georgia is from Cuba -- that's where they met years ago.  There were three doctors from the "Cuban Brigade" there too.

Dinner guests
Dr Bhiro Harry and his wife Georgia

St George's Catherdral

St Andrew's in Chateau Margot
[And their French is like mine.  They say Mar-GOTT.]

Pastor Joe Gobin was preaching there that Sunday.
He was my host during my convention visit in May.


Since it was Bev's birthday we tried some of
my personal relaxation methods
 at the Grand Coastal Hotel.

Have a good week and thanks for reading these Ups and Downs -- so much like all our lives.

1 comment:

  1. "The moon run all night till the sun a catch 'em" ... I'm taking this as a personal message cryptically embedded in a public blog but really meant for me ... like some Dan Brown ancient code for me to figure out :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think as you have read what I think...