Saturday, November 5, 2011

Rains-Runs-Reflections-Repentence-Remedies

Do you remember the picture of Tony huggingly hoisting Ms Williams in the air?  (I understand that his wife still remembers... and I can't repost it- something about false representation.)  Well, he damaged his shoulder and was in considerable pain.   He has his arm in a sling and this has drawn much sympathy from all his admiring young women - until I tell them that it happened in a rum shop brawl when he fell off the wagon!   (I love it when people believe me.)   There may be a moral here for all old guys:  It is either "The gods answer wives' prayers quickly" or "One should act one's age".  I think that the former is a better moral truth, as it is impossible to believe that we "old men" could act our age.

This was my excellent sling that was later criticized as, "What idiot made that?"
As for me... I did have a case of the "Georgetown Stomach" that came and went over a few days.  I self-medicated by popping a few Immodium a few hours before I needed to go farther than ten metres from my namesake.   [No picture included here either.]  And yes, I know it's not the best treatment, but it worked.  Now, I am not sure this offers any moral lesson as my indiscretions tend to be along  the lines of Jimmy Carter's  -- though come to think of it, those did lose him the White House.   Do you ever wonder why it is easier to see moral connections in others' actions than our own?    Another kindness of the Creator.

Our friend, Deacon Kampta Karran, who is famous for his creative ways to get favours out of us for the Lutheran Church here in Guyana, asked if he could present to our students.   He wanted to know if we were interested in having them explore "Bush Medicine" and its relationship with "Western Medicine".   Sure; and besides, any presentation by someone else is one less for us.   Kampta is Guyanese and he related to each of the students in a way that Tony and I will never match no matter how many more years we return.   He demonstrated his Oxford training and his breadth of knowledge of the subject.  The students loved it and him.  And now I know something about  na-jaar,haz-lee, suk-an-tee, na-ra, hook, chat-kay, gan-daz.   Almost all the students knew most of the diseases and remedies he named.  This medicine is alive and practiced.

Kampta "curing" Stanton of something

Now rain is not a news item here (nor for that matter in Pubnico either), but you have to remember that I now live on a construction site and because of the climate changes here the seasonal rains now come much earlier and more unpredictably.  The construction team has lengthened their 7am to 5pm six-day schedule to a 7am to 10pm one in order to get the building completed enough to work indoors so the rains don't interfere with the construction.   Tony and I admire their commitment and can cope with two gas powered concrete mixers serenading below our windows from 9 to 4, but starting on Sunday at 7am stretched our powers of appreciation.  I told the foreman that I had read lots of Guyanese history and even the slaves got Sunday off!  He assured me that the workers did get an overtime differential though he refused my request for similar payment to Tony and me.



 The rains have reduced our pathway to a pond of various depths from 2 to 6 inches.  We do have a pair of boots between us - mine.  However, Tony is more sensitive to germs, bacteria of all kinds, positive and negative, fungi, worms etc., so he got the boots and I walked barefooted.   Tony assured me that "if" I got to the kin-dom, I would get a bigger reward.    And he does let me wear the boots when I go get our supper for both of us on account of his shoulder.


I have been reflecting on our PBL experience this year and I can't help but feel extremely blest in almost every aspect of the programme.    When I first heard that Mercy had accepted 24 students (the final number came out to be 20) I could not figure out how Tony and I would get the small groups managed without killing ourselves.   And then by one of those coincidences that go by many names - fate, grace, luck - a nurse from McMaster, Marysia Donnelly, was to be here with her husband, Ian, who was a VSO/CUSO volunteer -- she was just an accompanying wife and got hold of us wondering if we had anything useful for her to do -- and did we ever!  She has been a tutor with us faithfully and skillfully since the beginning - and it looks as if she may make it to the end!

Marysia Donnelly received the Best Tutor Who is a Nurse award.
 And some of you may remember a doctor that I had met last year who was wanting me to lead a Catholic Youth Leaders session on sexuality -- until she heard me voice some slightly unorthodox views.   This doctor was also the first Dean at the new Medical School at University of Guyana, and had implemented PBL there after training at Maastricht University.  Claudette Harry also had a work history that took her all over the Caribbean.  On a whim, I emailed her and asked if she wanted to give us a hand; she has responded by giving us her whole self.   She has been a tutor all semester; this is a job she has added to an already full schedule.  Now I wouldn't call her an "old woman" as that has the wrong connotations, but she has retired more times than you can count on one hand.   And she doesn't even take naps like me ..... Amazing.

Claudette Harry stares in disbelief at a student answer.

Now these two would be blessing enough, but the individual netbooks and the additional computer cafe have been such a wondrous contribution that a comparison between last year and this year is almost impossible.  It is also impossible to name all the donors -- nor would many want to be identified -- but your generosity has made a huge impact.  All of you who contributed should have received a thank you letter from one of the students.   If you haven't received one, I hope it's the knowledge that we are grateful that counts -- and I have brow-beaten them all about sending them.   We will blame it on the post offices.

All of the computers are still in the possession of the students; some have needed some repair and a spare part. We may have one that the company is willing to replace though we would need to send it back to Hong Kong ..... So the company will let us try to fix it here without voiding the warranty -- nice.  And then if we can't, we'll send it back.

 

The students have taken to the netbooks like ducks to water... well there are a few Luddites who are moving slowly.   However, most do their research on their netbook and maybe half have net access at home or at a hotspot.  The upper classes use the cafe ones and never cease to remind me that I did not give them a netbook, but their death threats on my life have lessened.    And don't worry, I do not plan to come back begging for next year's first year students ..... I hope to be able to secure a grant from a foundation as we can now demonstrate effectiveness!  So if you know of such a granting agency, let me know.   And thanks for making this year possible.

The students have become skilled searchers and able to differentiate between good information and the wackos.  (Their increased efficiency also allows them more time on Facebook as an added bonus for them.)   They have started sharing information with each other from their research via email distribution lists, have used their netbooks in the small groups to show diagrams such as anatomy to illustrate their learning, and submit evidence to us when they feel that they did not get full marks for an exam answer and we are wrong.  By the way, we are never wrong; however, we reward their assertiveness -- and acknowledge that occasionally maybe they gave a slightly better answer.

Jomol demonstrates the intricacies of a knee joint.

I could go on, but I am getting Butt Fatigue... a sure sign that this blog is long enough.   We have had some disappointments but they are small compared to the good things.   And it is a good thing if you have read all this... Thanks, John.

I am sure you can identify with this unnamed student.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think as you have read what I think...