Sunday, September 4, 2011

On the Ground and Raring to Go

Tony and I arrived on Saturday morning after a few hours delay in leaving JFK.  They said it was because the International Airport in Guyana had fog .....  They have become cautious after last month's accident where the plane went off the runway and split in two.    Other than that, we arrived without incident at Mercy about 10 am, only about 4 hours late.  Kampta and Kavita greeted us and drove us back into Georgetown; Kavita is a very safe driver, so it took us 30 minutes longer than a minibus.

The big news this year is that Tony and I will be living together in the same flat.  [If you believe in prayer, now would be a good time to send a few to the gods about our mutual survival through this ordeal.]  Actually, we have been doing fine so far; at least, we have no open wounds.  We just returned from a Sunday Night's stroll on the seawall; Tony got some exercise and I had a beer.

As Tony was the senior resident in this flat from last year, he got the larger room.   I do have some bad news: my windows will not open... this makes the screens very effective against bugs, but there is no breeze...  However, the air-conditioner - yes air-conditioner - works adequately.    And Tony's AC machine does not.
And NOW nothing works thanks to Guyana Power and Light!  Hopefully, the power outage will be short lived.   

A few hours later:  back in that land of power. After eight years it is in some ways like coming home.   There are so many people - some I even remember the names for, and for some I am reduced to mumbling, though I have the same level of enthusiasm to see them.   On the other hand, it is not like coming home:  there is no real family, each flat takes some time to set up and make it feel homelike ... all in all, though, I do belong here and I have a purpose - that is enough.

We have all the computers with us.  We picked them up at Taju's Restaurant and, of course, we had to have an ice cream while we were there.  He had been storing them all for us as they arrived from China, US, Canada... You probably remember Taju from last year:  he is our colleague here who was refused a 5 day study visa by an unknown and non-appeal-able bureaucrat in Canada's Immigration Service who couldn't see a connection between being a nurse and selling ice cream!   Even my faithful, local member of Parliament has given up trying to do anything about it .....  maybe I should have voted for him.    Taju is less perturbed than I am, but hey -- it is my government.

Tony has taken the lead in setting up all the computers to work with the wireless system here.  Of course, that assumes that there is one wireless actually set up as requested over the last several months.   My money is on nothing having been done; Tony is more optimistic.  The individual laptops seem to be an excellent value - thank to everyone who donated to the cause.   I will continue to keep you informed on how they are working and appreciated.

We took out Marysia Donnelly, the nurse practitioner from McMaster and her husband Ian who is here with CUSO/VSO as an investment banker for Amerindian companies.   They are a great couple and Marysia already is trying to improve us!  [Actually, that really isn't too hard a challenge.]  We were also privileged to have Dr. Claudette Harry join us as a co-tutor.  She was the first Dean at University of Guyana Medical School and initiated Problem Based Learning there after studying at Maastricht University in The Netherlands.  She has worked with PAHO and the Ministry of Health.   In fact after dinner she found out the the Donnelly's had never been liming.  So she took us all out to a very well-to-do home near Ogle Airport... it was very upscale liming indeed.  I am more used to the plastic cups at the rum shop on the corner.  Anyway, it was a wonderful Guyanese welcome for all of us.

We start with students tomorrow -- I think.  We really have gotten no official notification, but that is par for the course.   It will be an interesting start... 

I feel that this is a little spastic and unremarkable, [Anne has had more excitement with the hot water tank conking out] but I did want to get it out.  It's only been 2 days:  I'll work on getting better for next week.

And if you like, you can put your email address on the blog and you won't miss a new post!  And it is free ..... what an offer!!

Take Care,
John

PS... If you still send "real" greeting cards consider sending some of my original ones at:  http://www.redbubble.com/people/revjoc/portfolio.   Any of my prints are availble and you can get an assortment of your choice for a discount.    All the money that I receive will go to Guyana Projects.

1 comment:

  1. Well, it is easy to open the comments section but now, what do I say. wishing you and Tony all the best adventures. Hope Maryisia and Ian can keep up with you.
    How HOT is it? better to have the small room with air conditioning that works.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think as you have read what I think...