Sunday, November 28, 2010

This is late, I must be getting Guyanese...

Problem Based Leaving

I am [was is now the right word!] in the midst of packing – or rather the packing in in the midst of me!   I threw out tons of old papers and somehow, I think that I have one more box to leave…if or when I come back.  Anyhow, it seemed that every lousy piece of paper had a memory attached to it and almost all enjoyable… but it has slowed me down some.


Tony and I finished our last PBL class with the First Year students in style on Wednesday:  Ms. Helen Browman, CEO at Mercy and Dr. Claudette Harry observed and participated with the students.    At the end of the session, they were supporters of our attempts to re-introduce it.   So on the last class of the last paper page, Tony and I got some support.  It sure was a long time coming… and it did provide some energy to even think that it might survive.

[And who is Harry?  Well, she was the first Dean of the Medical School at University of Guyana in the ‘70’s and she had developed a whole curriculum of PBL for the medical students.  However, after she went to PAHO, the PBL approach disappeared.   Tony and I actually took them both out to dinner to learn from her experience and maybe how she might have done it differently.]

Thursday was a day to hand out the grades and chat with each of the students individually about their performance and grade.   They all to a “T” said that they could/should have worked harder, as if that provided some sort of absolution or talisman against the negative comment of the teachers.    We had very few negative comments and none that don’t usually make the top ten lists of every teacher’s feedback.  We have been impressed with the students – participation, enthusiasm and work rate.

It is at the end, when I know more clearly why I come here.  It is to see how much the students have learned and how much they have grown up.   I think that I have always gotten off on helping others grow into themselves.  

Our final session, after the marks were handed in, was a general evaluation of the programme and its specifics.   Their responses were positive and all welcomed the chance to work rather than listen to a "talking head" read from a text.  And as usual, after there were no more assignments, they said that the homework wasn’t that tough and could have been more difficult.   When I was a novice, I had this cognitive dissonance as all throughout the year they complained about homework and now…  As an old guy, I believe their non-confession is a ploy to have us really, really stick it to the next group of first year students!    I usually tell them that their comments were really helpful as Tony and I were going to be teaching them again in their second year.


We were also surprised as they hosted a farewell party and tribute to us over the lunch hour.  We sang some songs and there were a few speeches about our wonderfulness.  As well, we received a lovely plaque with a thanks and a picture of themselves on it.  I did feel that we made a difference in their lives and nursing career.

Lots of Goodbyes
Every week one of the girls takes a picture of this one on the wall at St. Ann's
 I visited Sister Beatrice for my last time this trip - and maybe ever.  She has developed pneumonia and was somewhat dehydrated, so they brought her into Mercy Hospital.   I knew this because as I was going upstairs to visit her at the convent an older Sister came rushing towards me, walker and all, to tell me that she was where I had just left!   Anyhow, we did chat and I told her of all the people that I knew who were praying for her and that I was grateful for having known her and goodbye.

That day I also thought that I was saying goodbye to my girls at St. Ann’s.  I am still not sure whether they will miss my camera or me more.   I have come to know many of them over the years.   Lucy proudly told me that she was now halfway through her dog first aid book and there is nothing on red-eye in dogs.   Keep reading I told her.   They do all come to see me and ask – “Can I borrow the camera?”  “I didn’t have it last week.”  “I’m next, right?”   I have just learned to sit loose and the only time I look for my camera is when I am ready to leave.   And almost all the pictures of the girls are ones they have taken by themselves.   I now have to go through them and select two of each of them and get them printed and shipped back to them from Canada.   Some of the older girls have 50-60 pictures and always want me to print all of them!   Some new ones are in the slide show at top .....
Mary Peter - one of my favourite girls at St. Ann's
It is good to be part of their growing.  Two will go on to the University of Guyana… Amazing!  And others have been apprenticing in a trade and learning how to manage a job…  I am optimistic about most of their futures. 

Good Bye Again…

I was invited to the 475th Anniversary of the Ursuline Sisters and how could one refuse an invitation like that --  besides, "my girls" were going to be dancing during the Mass… and could I take some pictures?     And Sylvia wanted to take Tony and me out to dinner and she was going to the Mass.  [Tony was giving his last piano lesson.]   The Ursuline Order was dedicated to taking care of girls and women, so priests did all the talking about the good work of the Sisters by quoting from bishops… and no one saw the unfortunate irony.  Maybe by their 500th anniversay a woman might get to reflect on her life as an Ursuline?




Most of the St. Ann’s Girls were corralled up in the balcony; however, the dancing girls were downstairs. During the offering they waltzed down the aisle; they were excellent - disciplined, co-ordinated and seemingly enjoying the whole dance.  One might have mistaken them for perfect angels.   Whoever taught them had a lot of patience, and talent too.    They were even given a warm round of applause.    They were all so glad to see me as they had their best dresses on.  As well, they asked if they could borrow my camera!

Goodbye Sylvia 

Sylvia is the Scarborough Fathers volunteer who is down for three years – ugh.  So she will probably still be here if and when we get back.   For some reason Tony and I seemed to have adopted her… and I was secretly trying to convert her to Lutheranism.. . as she heard me preach several times and then just last Sunday went up river to Mt. Zion at Sand Hills.    It is in an isolated part of the west bank and accessible by boat.  I call it the jungle though the people there say, “Pastor, dis nah no jungle.”   Sunday was Harvest Home and after a longish service they had a meal for everyone; and then we had to wait for the torrential rain to slow down to normal rain before we left in an overloaded speedboat with no jackets.   And then after dropping off a half dozen people in the church van, we got a flat tire at night on the Timheri Road.   Dick coast it to underneath a street lamp and after a few anxious minutes discovered the jack in an unusual place.  It was a good thing that Dick had done it before ..…  
Everyone pitched in.. I got the spare loosened from a coat-hanger improvised holder; Sylvia held the nuts and bolts ..… and we were back on the road ..… somewhat later than expected but safe.

Goodbye Dick – kind of…


I forgot to mention that Dick was not feeling well and had no voice really at the 9AM service at Calvary and by the time he was done at Sand Hill, he was beat… See the evidence.   And the flat was almost the last straw… He has way too much patience for the “last” straw.     He dropped us at his home as he just wanted to crash… and Sylvia and I would get a taxi.  I did sneak in a good bye; he isn’t real keen on goodbyes… but it will be against the odds that our paths will cross in the future.   So it was a true goodbye to my Pastor friend.



Good Bye to the Rest…

It was like the children’s book, Goodnight MoonGood bye all the Sisters of Mercy – Judith, Noel, Kenneth, Catherine…  And Good bye St. Ann’s Brenda, Barbara, Mary Peter…  Good bye all my graduates –Yolanda, Bhola, Taju, Ashiana, Annessia, Sabrena, and many more…  Good Bye staff at Mercy – Helen, Juanita, Laurelle, Jenny, Claudia and all the others…  Good Bye all those who have enriched my life these last three months Good Bye   Guyana!

Hello Anne and all my family – Sue, Emily, The Iz, Sara, Rod, Shilo, Christine, Evan, Jennifer, Kristin, Mike, Sydney, John Aaron, Amber, Sienna and Aidan..

Hello all my friends.   Hope to see you all soon… or more likely a closer email!

I thought that I would have had a much more reflective ending to this year.  However, I am just thinking of getting out and home.  Maybe I’ll try and write one later…   Yes, I know it says that I send them only when I am in Guyana, but what preacher would be worth his salt if he always did what he said?  

I am now in Florida...

So… “Help, Save, Comfort and Defend us O God.”  Till we meet again… John

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think as you have read what I think...